Please take a moment to nominate a student or postdoctoral fellow for the 2017 Marie Taubeneck Award. Students and postdoctoral fellows may apply for this award.
The Marie Taubeneck Award is presented to a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow in recognition of scholarship in teratology and service to the Teratology Society and includes a cash prize presented at the Annual Meeting. Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are also welcome to nominate themselves for this award.
An important aspect of the Marie Taubeneck Award is recognition by fellow trainees, who are polled on which nominee should receive the award. The Marie W. Taubeneck Fund established in memory of Dr. Taubeneck supports this award.
The Marie Taubeneck Award is open to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are members of the Society and is based on the following considerations:
- Level of involvement in the Teratology Society
- Attendance at a minimum of one Teratology Society meeting
- Leadership among and mentoring of fellow trainees*
- Level of enthusiasm for developmental and reproductive sciences
- Courage to pursue new methods and areas of research
- Is a trainee at the time of application or nomination
*Leadership among fellow trainees may be demonstrated in any number of ways, both formal and informal. Below are a few examples of the type of leadership and mentoring that help fellow trainees feel welcome and supported in our Society.
- Actively engaged with fellow trainees at the meeting
- Facilitate interactions with other trainees
- Openly share experiences, both positive and negative, with fellow trainees to support, or even commiserate with them
- Seek out and welcome trainees attending their first meeting
- Support aspiring scientists in your lab, university or community
Nomination/application letters should include a brief description of the trainee’s activities with regard to the eligibility considerations.
Nominations/applications are due March 31, 2017 and should be sent to Teratology Society Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A list of past recipients of the Marie Taubeneck Award is available on the Teratology Society website.