General Summary: Committed to providing the highest quality of service to our clients, operating at the highest levels of integrity, and contributing to the betterment of mankind. Since 1941, the people of Southern Research have contributed to mankind's quality of life through advancements leading to life-saving drugs, safer space exploration, cleaner air and energy production, and enhanced national defense.
Working out of the Drug Development Division in Birmingham, Alabama, this position is responsible for providing general research support in the DART laboratories and will also be responsible for leading a team of less experienced research assistants. The lead research assistant must have a demonstrated understanding of scientific research and methods, proficiency in most laboratory techniques, proven ability to work well within a team, demonstrate the ability to train junior team members on laboratory techniques, and effectively organize and lead a team to execute study protocols.
The team lead will have indirect management responsibility to include providing day-to-day task direction and ensure quality of the work completed. This position will report directly to the laboratory supervisor. This position also requires providing technical support to the General Toxicology group.
- Observes and executes activities consistent with study protocols, Standard OperatingProcedures (SOPs) or Laboratory Methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, andsafety and health practices.
- Works collaboratively with DART Program Leader, DART Supervisor, study directors, otherTeam Leads, lab supervisors and staff to support study initiation and execution.
- Provides daily task oversight to other team members to execute assigned studies.
- Executes key activities on a study following appropriate procedures.
- Administers test and control materials by various routes, including gavage, capsule,intravenous, intramuscular, intraperitoneal, and subcutaneous.
- Collects samples and specimens
- Collects and reviews experimental data, including but not limited to temperatures, weights,clinical observations, reproductive and fetal data, all using the Provantis data collection system.
- Provides animal care and husbandry, to include changing racks and cages, providing feed andwater.
- Writes and updates SOPs as necessary and appropriate
- Reviews and approves timesheets
- Assists supervisor in the development and training of technical staff including performanceappraisals, recommend promotions, etc.
- PerformsDevelopmental and Reproductive Toxicology tasks including but not limited to:
- Uterine exams in pregnant rodents and rabbits
- Fetal external, visceral, head, and skeletal exams (rodents and rabbits)
- Skeletal processing
- Sperm analysis using the TOX-IVOS
- Estrous cycle slide analysis
- Cohabitation and mating of rodents and rabbits
- Litter observations
- Neurobehavorial assesments
- Coordinates technical support within DART and with General Toxicology and other groups
- High school diploma or equivalent with 6 years of DART related experience or associate’sdegree with 4 years of DART related experience.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic study design and execution
- Dmeonstrate ability to handle and restrain animals
- Knowledge of and ability to use computer systems, including WORD, EXCEL
- Knowledge of GLPs
- Demonstrate ability to operate both light and dissecting microscopes
Applications must be made online at www.southernresearch.org
EOE / Minorities / Females / Veterans / Disabled